Thursday, May 1, 2014

Desert solitaire

Day 3 
Mile 52
Hiked 15 great miles today In powerful wind gusts. Getting my strength back in my legs and ankles. First I hiked 5 miles to mount Laguna. There I was greeted with hot cocoa, soda, beer and gingersnaps from Puppy who was doing shakedowns for thru hikers. I love the culture- so giving and forgiving! Every hiker In this lovely little strip of sunset highway seemed to be missing something- some power and spriteliness. Later I realized they were either trying to get rid of things in their packs at the shakedown, or waiting to pick up their resupply at the post office that opened at noon. Or they were waiting on hiking buddies or trying to ditch them. Salsa and I ate a 10 dollar buffet at a log cabin restaraunt. The place only opened today for thru hikers, as they said they usually aren't open on Monday or tuesday. Delicious vegetables and Juevos rancheros. Tortilla with the fixings and cilantro!!! Mmm. Left with a very full tummy. Hiked 10 more miles to pioneer picnic.

The night was intense- the raging wind hissing and howling, swishing and swooshing. It was trying to tell me something. Maybe "hike your own hike"... 



Day 4
Mile 75
Hiked 22 miles today 
Woke up at daybreak and hiked with Salsa. I expressed my need to be on my own, accompanied by no one and attached to no one else's schedule. This is a huge part of why I'm on trail. We said goodbye. It felt damn good and liberating to hike all by myself. Got sunburnt on the backs of my calves, saw a baby snake, caught a fall with my palm on a cactus that was very well disguised. 

New favorite desert flower


Oh yeah... This wind happened.






No comments:

Post a Comment