Thursday, May 1, 2014

Never been better

5/1
Day 5
Mile 91
Okay I have to admit, updating my blog post is hard and tedious at the end of the day... After hiking from sunrise to sunset and experiencing so much in between.
How do I feel? I've never felt better. So much energy and excitement to hike and keep hiking to see what's around every corner. Each step and turn creates a new plateau of view, clarity, calmness, joy. My body feels so healthy and strong, no blisters, no aches. Been doing yoga in the am and sometimes in the pm to losen and stretch out.

Hiked about 18 miles today. Walked 2 flat miles to the road, sissors crossing, and hitched my first ride. It was awesome. Being in a car was fast, obviously. The lady who picked us up was so sweet. Arrived in the town of Julian at 9:30 before everything opened. I went to use the bathroom behind the town hall but had no quarter with me, so I made the hiker trash move and peed in a corner outside of the bathroom. Typical "hiker trash." 
Saw some familiar faces In the one road, charming ole mining town. Met a lot of new people too. Soft walker and I were just waiting for the free pie and sandwich from "Mom's". I had lower ecpectations but this pie was so stellar. Bumbleberry pie with fresh whipped cream.  And good company. The whole place was packed with hikers and our packs, and stench... Did I mention it was free for hikers if you show your permit? Yes please! 
I had so much energy and everyone was kinda lingering in town. I needed to get back on the trail. I felt great hiking all day. Had a lot of alone time. Met some new great people. 
Honestly all of the wonderful and fleeting thoughts I have through my day escape me by the time I get in my wig... err bed, errr sleeping bag? 
I got into camp later than i would like so I just ate a Taos mountain butterscotch chia bar for dinner. 
My shoelace broke so I bought new ones and replaced that thing. Not that that's interesting at all. I pretty much scared a snake today. I felt proud, I guess.

Hiked into the sunset and saw cotton candy colors as the temperature dropped and felt cool and humid. Desert is powerful. The rarity of color really makes you appreciate the small amount of it that's bursting around you. 

PCT Thru hikers are like a "community of flies." I wouldn't have it any other way.  
"Shit thru hikers say" is a thing that's happening with the group I'm camping with now.








Did I mention I F**King LOVE this trail?!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you are having such an amazing time. Keep the great photos coming.

    Living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete