Mile 444

Passed mile 420 yesterday. Woke up on the road and hiked on the road because there was an overgrowth of poodle dog bush on the trail. Smells like Heineken and weed and will tear your skin up and is basically the enemy. Poodle dog ballet is the dance. Passed a burnt down fire station in the mountains. Hiked 22 miles in the hot heat. Arrived at the KOA. Kampgrounds of America. This camping thing is weird- RVs and bbqs and catering and swimming pools. Memorial Day weekend. 'Merica. Took a shower, ordered pizza, drank beers and sang with my friends.
Morning

5/25
Mile 454
Woke up and left late at 10 am- hiked in the heat of the day- we all started hiking without shirts but we soon threw them on for cooling and no sunburn. Hiked only 10 miles to make it to the Saufley's home. Hung out in every cave and bridge we came across. Under a bridge we made sweet music with dirty joes guitar that I accompanied with lyrics that flowed like water. It felt damn good to sing and shout and express. I wish I could have had that recorded, it was so pure and raw. I surprised myself.
We finally arrived at Agua Dulce, but the Saufleys was full so we camped at the Vasquez rocks. Drank whiskey and lime and ginger and had a nice night hanging with my mates.
5/26
Mile 454
Woke up and walked to The Saufleys! Had a great breakfast at the sweet water cafe. French toast bacon and eggs. The Saufleys is an amazing and famous trail angels home. They took us to REI where I bought new shoes, sun gloves, a new spoon... Had a major shopping headache after, cured by in and out burger! Yum! Neapolitan Shake with a double double animal style cheese burger. Then I did my chores- laundry, shower, sent home a package, organized my food resupply. And I was inspired to shave my head... But instead we only chopped off my pig tails... Tomorrow we shall see if I decide to shave my head into an Afro. Short hair in the desert. Now is the time. I rode one of the Saufleys bikes to meet up with my cousins whom I haven't seen in forever who live near LA! Beth, Luna and Carlos. Had dinner with them at sweet water. So delicious. Fish and chips. So great to see close family so far away. Came back to the saufleys to hear them telling the story around the fire about how they became trail angels. Really beautiful.





No comments:
Post a Comment