Thursday, October 9, 2014

9/29

9/29
2544
Woke up to cold condensation. Went to dig a cathole at the hire creek camp site and there was a poop trail that was so unclassy and not LNT. Poop unburied. Not cool! I am envious of people with trowels. Makes digging so muh easier and faster. Had a slow and glorious saunter, picking plump berries, marveling at the beauty of this section. I MUST come back here to hike again. And take you with me! 
Hiked only 3 miles and then dried my tent out with "Bee" and Seahawk.

Got to see the uphil ascent zig zag switchback across the valley that I would climb after descending the other side. It was a rather fun climb. I'll say it now and I'll say it again, I kinda really love switchbacks going up. It's empowering and I feel super strong and accomplished every switchback. And getting to the top is always monumental- I give myself high fives. 

Slowed way down from the berry picking against. Then it Started raining. Bee and SH said they were going to camp in 5 miles. I was perfectly content with only doing 16 today. Washington has forced me to slow down. The dark cold mornings and early wet nights don't help... at all. But it's also so so beautiful here, so peaceful, so wild, so remote... It's fantastical.  I want to just breathe it in, take my time. I do only have 124.5 miles left on the PCT. Must enjoy myself, and not be hard on myself for doing few miles, getting out of camp late, setting up early. It's hard! The desert I couldn't wait to get up and out because I would be so hot and it would be so sunny and bright. Those were the days! I was wet from sweat, not from cold rain! 

Kinda dented my special red umbrella (best friend) while climbing over a down tree, it crashed into a sideways tree just ahead of me. Set up in the rain. Never fun, but I stayed positive. Survival mode. Camping with Bee and SH :)




Zig zag switchbacks









No comments:

Post a Comment