Thursday, October 9, 2014

10/05

2636
Woke up feeling unmotivated at 6:30 as it was  just starting to get undark. Ate a lot of chocolate covered espresso beans to try and get me buzzing. Thanks Sierra for the pounds of chocolate! ;) it's so heavy though so I've been plowing through it. It's the perfect trail food really. Chocolate! The sun was clearing the fog and I arose with blue sky awaiting me. 

Morning pontificating from gizmo and dirtnap:
Gizmo "The pct is literally just a path, so therefore, like life, is a reflection of each individual and what they choose to make of it." 
Dirtnap: "The only way to hike the pct the right way is to do it YOUR way."
Well done, guys. 


The valley in which I came from last night

Did a huge switchback climb for breakfast


With huckleberries on the side 




No water where half mile said there was a creek. Maybe we missed it? So I dry camped last night with only a liter. I was banking on this creek, but it wasn't there. So I had a thirsty morning. 
Started seeing day hikers. They are all winning at life, if they can come out here for a Sunday run with a friend hike with a loved one/picnic with kids.
Coniferous/deciduous Tamarac or larch trees so beautiful in this fantastic fall weather we have been granted!












Okay thirsty morning turned into irritable noon. Stomped quickly to harts pass, hoping there was water at the ranger station. What do you know... A sign that says magic. Then I see and hear Hornsby (who had already hiked to the border and back to here/just won the pct) sitting by two trail magicians, Red Beard and Thai Kitchen. They offered me a beer and I was like I need the water! Then I had a beer and they handed me a thing they call a "hot mama"- which is a bratwurst cut in half with sizzled jalapeños, cheese and cream cheese on top, wrapped in a tortilla. I couldn't say no! It was delicious. What a perfect moment to soak up trail magic- when I actually have time to sit and hang out in this beautiful weather and only hike 6 more miles after 3! I met for the first time a hiker named Tailor, who started the day before kick off. Never met him until now! Crazy how this happens. He is a German engineer and said he "can't tell the trail is ending" because he can't see the end, literally. I thought about that. It makes much brilliant sense.







Only hiked 16 miles today so got into camp with daylight! Hey moon! 
Gizmo and Seahawk at our camp below Tamarac peak. I love Seahawk, and am so grateful to have hiked with him around the end. He's a man with a heart of gold. Always making me smile or laugh. I'm in awe of him for still hiking after he thinks he may have a broken foot. He always has jelly bellys but I think I've realized he doesn't like most of the flavors... 

No comments:

Post a Comment