1542
Got up at 5:30 and left camp at 6:30. My favorite start to the day. Castle crags was a cool wilderness to hike in. Planned on doing another 30. And we did! Got into camp at 10.
Good morrow!
8/08
1561
Experiencing some groin pain. Craving a massive spinach salad and a bottle of Petit Syrah. Spring was bearly trickling and had cow patties all around.
8/09
Hiked 4 miles to highway 3- hitched to Etna. A mom with 3 young girls picked testament and I up. Steel toe ended up hitching there for 4 hours! Ahh :( We went around the burned section of the trail. Arrived in the small town of Etna.
Found out dayglo was at the hostel- they have bikes and a hiker hut! Riding a bike felt amazing. Wish I could do more than hike all day every day. Eh, but I really can't complain, I love it! We ate dinner at the brewery and watched back to the future.
8/10
1624
Unexpected town stop. Felt pretty good about it. So ready to be back on trail. My cousin Nick is planning to meet me either right before Oregon border or right after to hike for a few days. Hope 25 miles a day won't kill him. Or make him want to kill me? I know he's super capable and confident. I just hope he knows what's coming. Got a ride to the trail and started our hike at 11. Just testament and I fit in the car. The road was closed at etna summit due to fires, and the trail south closed where we just had to hitch around.
Walked by and talked to many older folks doing trail work. So amazing what they do, just for us, and just for them, and the trail! It's really hard hiking mid day in the heat of the day on exposed ridges... Especially when the day before involved 3 strong beers and a brownie sundae from the brewery, and ice cream and a shower. Saw smoke from many angles all day. Saw another fire while hiking at around 5. Flames on the ridge! And a helicopter dousing it with pink stuff.
8/12
Seiad valley. Patty melt with avocado and salted caramel milk shake. Woah! Got my package... Was told by everyone in town the forest service advises to not be on trail. But with no proof and fear mongerjng, I am very skeptical. A wonderful woman named Tiner has taken us in to her lovely abode while we stipulate and contemplate our next move. She made chicken catchiatore with vegetables from her garden, drank wine from her cellar.
All the info I have

































Amazing photos Biscuit! Glad you guys are safe as you navigated around the fires burning west of Etna. Hopefully you won't run in to many in Oregon. Great times at the brewery! - Norcal Jimbo
ReplyDelete