7/1
Mammoth
Today I learned switcharoos ursac of food got taken by what we think was a bear...
"Watched" the USA Belgium soccer game at a pizza plAce. So many people so riled up. In the mean time, I had a date outside on the patio with Alex and her dad Lee. Special father daughter vibes.
Had a great dinner with dad at this place with a weird name... Shlocums.
6/30
Mammoth
Woke up with reds meadow diner on my mind. Root beer float, please! Had a very fun day hiking with myself, listening to a very beautiful and emotional biscuits show from my first camp bisco. I cried and laughed a lot. Then was startled by birdbath sleeping off the trail. We both scared eachother I guess. Later I hiked with he and space age. Made it to reds meadow. Had a float, a beer and a bacon cheeseburger. Ouch... Never again. Ran into the wonderful person that is Outburst, or Alex, Mari's friend from Missoula whom I am so fortunate to be connected to! She is hiking the JMT with her father too, which is so special. Took the bus into mammoth lakes and got a room at the quality inn with dad. Hung out at the motel 6 with fellow mates. On the walk to motel 6, wearing just my rain gear (laundry was being done) I was called upon by a person who said PCT?! It was Penguino, an infamous hiker I had only heard about many times. I knew he liked tequila and I happened to be carrying a newly bought pint of the stuff. He gladly took a shot in the parking lot.
6/29
889
Hiking by myself in the hot early morning, my head was nearly removed by a flying wild turkey. This wild turkey was coming for me (5 ft above my head) very fast. Soaring speed. It put on its breaks (tail feathers) instantly and landed behind me. That was nuts. Many curious close encounters with animals lately...
Hiked over Silver pass. Dad seemed dehydrated and pooped, but then again so was I. My dad has proved to be the most resilient adapters to life and culture out here, and by far the most improved hiker.
Coming down from silver pass We met two gals named Good News and Fun Fact. They are awesome and lively.
Camped at Fish creek. Joined by Birdbath and Spaceage, along with good news and fun fact. So great. Had a camp fire that Gravy insisted on building. He's a bit of a pyro, my father.
6/28
871
Got our bucket at the MTR. Met Stringcheese and Switcharoo, two lovely ladies I had never met before. They do big days every day. Like 25 miles even in the sierras. Damn! While walking back up to the PCT from the ranch, two south bounding Deer almost galloped into me going full speed. I became fully awake after that. Who needs coffee? Hiked over Selden pass. Met a bunch of southbound JMTers. Did two wet river crossings. The cold water and smooth stones felt like a much needed foot massage bath. The Mosquitos were killer. I choked on only one, but have many bites. Time for some deet in my life. Camped at Bear creek. Was met by Stringcheese and then Switcharoo who ate dinner and camped with us. I had a late night snack in my tent and knowingly and lazily left the wrapper in my tent. This led to paranoia that manifested in my dream. I dreamt that I was in the same camp site in my tent in the exact spot I was sleeping in, in my dream as in real life. Perhaps this is what lucid dreaming is? A man hiking southbound at dusk warmed me that tonight in this area there is heavy bear activity. Then as I slept in my dream I heard a loud walk that sounded like a clumsy and slow person, come to my tent and then... It just sat on me. The bear just sat on me and my tent. I laid very still and stayed very quiet until it got up and left. Then, the same scenario happened again. In retrospect I realize that I was at bear creek at this time. Hmmm... Lucid Paranoid Sublimination.
857
At a campsite just before Muir trail ranch.
Have to wait til the morning, because they closed at 5, and we would have arrived at 6. Hopefully our horse and mule carried bucket has arrived at the exclusive and remote ranch.
Sitting against a large tree, sharing my flask of tequila with dad, he insisted on having a warm shower from his platypus hanging from a tree. He said he knows I've been in the woods too long when he asked me how to clean cheese off of his spoon and I said "dirt."
6/26
844
Hiked up Muir pass today! Yow!
It was a little rainy in the morning. I was so happy to run into siesta fiesta 4 miles before the pass. The had a lazy morning at camp thru the rain.
Evolution valley
My grandmas would cry so hard if they were transplanted here. This is the most most most beautiful beautiful beautiful place I have ever camped. Holy smokes.
6/25
830
Glenn pass
Golden staircase
My body hurts
6/24
Mile 815
Hiked with Gypsy almost all day. Camping before Mathers pass. I had an irrational anxiety attack worrying that my dad died at the last river crossing on a sketchy rock. I dropped my pack and waited for 15 minutes. Bumblebee and milk man said they saw him... So I waited another 15. He didn't show. I walked back to the river crossing and waited another 15... Started to panic. Walked back some more doing my signature wolf call, with the tinge of anxiety in my howl. Asked some hikers and ran into Space Age, asking them if they've seen him. He had set up his tent already. He was feeling sick, like tummy aches and couldn't make it another 6 miles. I couldn't camp there, I had another 6 miles of energy in me. I left him. I'm feeling really shitty about that. I was intending to make it over the pass and camp 2 miles after with siesta fiesta, but I saw bumblebee and milkman, whom I just met today, and they invited me to camp with them... I thought okay good I'll do that, I'm hungry and don't want to hike til 8, set up and eat dinner late. So I am here now. Hopefully dad is feeling better in the morning. Hopefully he will catch up to me.
6/23
Mile 802
I woke up to see a bird chasing a chipmunk. Possibly one of the cutest little animal interactions I've ever seen. Gravy caught a rainbow trout as I laid in my sleeping bag that had much condensation on it. Passing some day hikers, they asked if I was biscuit and told me that birdbath says "hey sugar mama" to me. While crossing a creek at the wrong place to cross, I kinda fell in, getting both feet soaked. Hiked from to mile 800! Huge mile accomplishment! Took my soaked feet out of my shoes and socks to air em out. Had lunch with Snakefarm and Anyminutenow. Got another foot wet again while doing another creek crossing. Got into camp early. For the first time in my life I was able to teach my dad yoga! He won't admit it but he loved it. Gypsy Brent testament and dayglo of siesta fiesta are camped with me. Happy to see them again.
6/22
Mile 793
Woke up in a bed second night in a row. Rest was good but I couldn't wait to get back on the trail. Had strong coffee, bacon and eggs again courtesy of mt Williamson :)
Strider drove my dad, "Gravy" and I to the trailhead. Walked back over Kearsarge pass, and to Rae lakes. It was really a two pass day, because after Kearsarge we then hiked over Glenn pass which was absolutely epic. Really hard day. Only 11.8 miles. It's amazing how the sierras slow you down. So much terrain! My dad, Gravy is a bad ass. He's learning so much and pushing himself so much. I'm so lucky he's as adventurous and curious as I. Camping right on upper Rae lake. Magnifico!




















































































No comments:
Post a Comment