Monday, July 28, 2014

Oh, oh it's magic.



7/22
1232
Hiked 28 miles today. I think this was my biggest day.
Heard two huge dynamite explosions at 7:30 where lazyboy, smokey, steel toe, hot legs and Johnny cash were camped, before getting into my campsite. It was very explosive sounding, like fireworks. 

Water sources mainly dry today. At the last water source before our prospective campsite, tucked in a nook of the earth, a deer was hanging out with me. Super nonchalant. Made me sad to see such dry seasonal creeks... Maybe I shouldn't say that because I heard from two sources this year may be an 'El NiƱo.' Still not quite sure what that is. 

Camped at duck soup lake... Maybe that's what it's really called, or just what the rumor has. An awesome couple I met in Sierra city were there too, the A team, Ali 'Ukelady' and Adam. Such bright and beautiful humans. And Toury and Lowlander... Brent and Gypsy and Dayglow of course. But where was Testament?! He must not have seen them all at the lake before I got there and kept walking. Oh Testament... Ate Annie's Mac and cheese with tuna and pepper and parmigiana. It was so late so it wasn't a relaxing meal. Then ate a snickers. The night and morning were so gusty! Pushing clouds so fast. 
 

7/23
1254
What a great day today was. Walked far, fast. 22 miles. Stopped at many interesting water sources. First was at a paved road. That only vehicles on this winding road were massive logging trucks. Walked .3 on pavement and under this road where a little water flow existed. While having lunch, I gave Johnny cash some tortillas and he have me raisinettes in return. Thru hikers are like 5 year olds. Then stopped at another source where we had to walk down off trail. Did some laundry. Arrived at feather river. Beautiful rushing RIVER. Didn't go all the way in... Just my feet. Massaged them with river stones and got a nice cool foot bath. The sounds were soothing, the sunlight very bright. The large river stones pressed under me like massaging pillows. Ahhhh.... Had dinner at this river. Poison oak every where, gypsy pointed out. I was walking oblivious to it, stompin around not paying attention to which green thing to pay attention to. I kept loosing the game she started where I loose points when I touch them with my trekking pole or shoe. I lost. If she's right and this is poison oak, I am immune. 

The next water source was very dark and deep in a crevasse. We joked that that's where Testament is camping tonight. Stopped for a moment to look around at this fine spot. Looked down and placed on top of a rock was an intentionally left, carefully rolled, big ole' roll of some herbacious herb. O MG oh my G I said as I looked at it and picked it up. What spontaneously kind trail magic. Just for us. Okay so we took a packs off break and graciously enjoyed this wrapped gift. Hiked just 5 more miles to the best campsite ever. 

Walked over this unbelievably picturesque bridge over bear creek, that some fine human(s) built once upon a time. Camping right along this lovely sight, where angels sing. 


7/24
1269
Lucky day. Didn't feel like walking 20+ miles today. It felt daunting. Just as I got in the grove of stomping up the mountain, at 2.5 mph, I see a glisten on the side of the trail. It was the most beautiful quartz crystal I have ever found. In total shock, I picked it up and held it as I kept walking, looking for more. I had to stop myself from looking because I had already found the most beautiful piece I could ever find. 



So many

Little 

Terminations!!!!! Ahhhhh :) 
Photos don't do anything justice these days. 

Bucks summit. After hiking just 14 miles, we heard word of a restaraunt with 18 beers on tap. I would have kept walking to make 22-25 miles... Because just tomorrow will be when I arrive in Belden where my next resupply is. But I was convinced to stay 1 hr max to find a ride. We spent almost a whole hour attempting to hitch (the 5 of us) on a not busy road to eat delicious food. At the very very last minute, some kind man picked us up. Just like that. Drove 2 miles to the lakeshore resort restaraunt. Enjoyed wifi, tangerine hefeweizen from lost coast brewery, fish and chips with a great dill tartar sauce, French fries and malt vinegar, shared a "PCT" pizza, and enjoyed lots of joy and laughter. 
A lady named Cricket and her husband at the restaraunt said they would drive us back to the trailhead if only we would shower and have a glass of wine at their vacation house. We couldn't decline their kind offer. So we didn't really hike any more that night. The wine and the food put us to sleep so we cowboy camped right at the bucks summit road/trail head. This trail magic is done by the most real and friendly people. They just want us to enjoy... Not like we aren't already... I feel spoiled! Some People are too good! And they don't even know they're trail angels... 

7/25
1289

Arrived in Belden after 19 miles. Walked into the beginning of a three day house music festival. We had read In yogis guide book of the pct that Belden is "a strange place" and known for their "raves." When I descended into Belden town, it did not match my expectations, in a very good way. West coast music feativals are vey different from east coast featies. Beautiful people, very stylish, very posh and put together. Laughing and loving. Not trying to out do eachother. Not trying to get "heady points".Very different culture and etiquette than I am used to.
However, I like east coast real vibes, high fives and good times. We are now pretty much forced to camp at this festival for free (150$ ticket!). The festival ground is on the trail, so hikers don't have to pay. That means camping while listening to pounding repetitive house beats all night... People watching is great. Got my package. Went in the river with my clothes on, to do my laundry. Drank beer in a inflatable tube. Real hiker trash. Saw other hiker transh and we all yelled it and cheersed joyously. 






7/26
1295
Got sucked into the vortex that is town... Well we hung out at a trail angels tent (they are very cool people and cooks for the employees of the fest and they also serve amazing food to hikers for free!) so gracious. Had dinner of pulled pork and cabbage and quinoa. Went across the river to camp away from the festival. Pounding repetitive "music" ALL night. Two dj stages music clashing across the river into my ears. When it transitioned into softer down tempo house music at a lower volume at 5 am, I thought "oh this is pleasant... Too bad I can't appreciate it because I've been shielding my soul from this all night." Needless to say, sleep didn't happen. Woke up and got breakfast, with the intention of hitting the trail. The fest was in full swing, stopped by people who knew I was a hiker, I shared my story with many intrigued party goers in very interesting and stylish outfits. It was insanely hot... None of us wanted to hike out 14 miles uphill in the heat of the day on an exposed fire burned area. We waited it out by people watching, drinking bloody Mary's, eating ice cream... No cell service or internet which was a bummer. When I'm "in town" I expect these things to be available so I can connect with my peoples. 
This is Belden town 

Party people




No comments:

Post a Comment