Monday, July 28, 2014

No more zero days!


7/14
Hiked 10 miles into echo lake, picked up my package from the chalet/store on the lake, ate delicious pralines and cream home churned ice cream. Saw the lovely, French Tin-Tin, and dust bunny. Then, the one and only Rock Ocean showed up in his sweet blue VW van before we started trying to figure out how to get into south Lake Tahoe. So grateful for his awesome ability to show up at every town I arrive at, at just the right time. He's our "traveling angel." He drove us to the outfitter where we ran into danger (little) spoon and the cheese (f-ing) burger. Got our photos taken for the hiker board. Saw friends ahead of us on that board. Then we went to the hostel in south Lake Tahoe. Mellow mountain hostel- just opened. Reunited with fellows like red bandit, mama bear or mountain mama, peppa, giggles, steel toe. Shared a room with siesta fiesta (Gypsy, Brent, Dayglow and Testament). Gypsy and I went for a very productive stroll through town, intending to get chores done. Yet we hadn't put our laundry in and we didn't really make a plan. I finally bought a town dress to wear while my laundry is in, and to feel pretty for a second. We were going to walk to a supposed crystal store because I've been really wanting to have a small piece of selenite and/or moldavite on me. That was a material desire I wanted while on trial, but in town I realized I don't really need that. So we just bought a bgodchips and Gatorade and walked back to the hostel. A shin splint, my first one ever, started developing while walking in town on concrete in my flip flops. Back at the hostel everyone was getting hungry. I wanted to go up this little authentic Mexican restaraunt but everyone was debating between fire and ice and the all you can eat casino buffet. Obviously we ended up at the casino buffet, which was so overwhingly. Full of so many people and too much food. I knew it wasn't going to end well for me. All of the options made me want it all. From Chinese hot and sour soup and fried rice to Sushi to ceaser salad and mac and cheese and dill salmon. I had two plates and felt so stuffed and then went to get dessert. I kinda wanted to get my 23$ worth. Never ever doing that again. Not a very enjoyable way to enjoy food, or company. I walked out of the Harrah's holding my tummy, really not wanting to feel the consequences of my over eating. 

7/15
Zero south Lake Tahoe 
I'm pretty sure today is Jasmine's birthday. I've had dreams about her the past 3 nights. Beautiful dreams where her essence is palpable. Happy birthday my love. I am so blessed to be able to experience memories of you that make me laugh and cry. Woke up and all of our stuff was exploded all over the room. We needed to laundry, resupply, shower, call people, etc... We went to brunch at the Mexican place called Maya's. It just opened 3 days before. Horchata and a chicken cheese quesadilla with handmade tortillas and salsa. Mmmmmm !!!!! As we got chores done we were told by many injured hikers that they saw the dawn of the apes movie and loved it. So we decided to stay another night and call today a zero, and go to a 4:00 matinee. It was intense. Back at the hostel, Grilled BBQ chicken and made a salad for dinner, then fire sparklers left over from the 4th. Then Ice cream. 
Did I mention I ordered a new pack today? Yep, I just bought a "six moons design" fusion 65 L pack I've been wanting since I saw Sierra's pack. Today I tried on Lazy boy's and realized its perfect for my body and distributes the weight like heaven. My gossamer gear mariposa pack now is just a minimal lightweight sac with no freedom or support. Though I've grown to love it, since it's been my home for the last 2.5 months, I know I'll hike better with this new pack. 
Oh and I am now free of my 2 lb bulky bear canister! Even though I grew a slight attachment to the rigid protection of my food, I am so happy to get rid of it. Sent that home (sorry mom and dad for the wilder stench that may lie within the canister when you open it.)




7/16
1103
Back on the trail. Grateful to not be around so many road crossings. Rock Ocean was so kind to pick us up and take us back to the trail head at echo lake. Saw many familiar faces there. Had a pre trail beer and a blood orange San peligrino, listened to Ewoks gorgeous space drum, saw Pathfinder, hippo and thirsty. Headed back on trail. Hiked 6-7 miles to aloha lake where we all jumped in and swam. So refreshing and warm for an glacial lake. There were many rock islands and trees in this lake. Hiked 2 miles more and decided we were going to bang out 25 mile days to get to our next resupply at Sierra city in 4 days. Gorgeous hike to where were camping now . Ate dinner as we watched a storm in the distance and tried to gouge out what it was going to do. It didn't end up hitting us at all. We heard drumming and a boom box from the distance. I thought it was thunder at first.















7/17
1129
Awoke and left camp at 7. Had a great day hiking. Not too hot. Middle of the day I was just running from the storm but it caught us at 4pm. HAIL/rain storm while hiking was rather fun and refreshing. My shoes had puddles in them. That wasn't so fun. Hiked 26 miles and I feel great! Finished all my chocolate tonight. The next two nights I will probably regret that.





Brent and Gypsy 

Decay


Ponds on ponds 

Vibrant violet 

Array of diversity

Flower friends 





Post hail 







7/18
1153
Hiked til 10. I'd like to start hiking and camping alone to be on my own time and pace. That's part of the reason I'm out here. 
Squaw valley mountain ski resort. 

Water dry stretch... Had to carry my max capacity, 4 liters, which was bearly enough for the 10 miles in the evening and the 7 miles in the morning. Avoided a storm. Dry camped. Amazingly clear stars, so bright and pixilated. Milky Way was looking mighty fine. And the drinking gourd :)
Been walking through a ton if ski resorts. 

Washington lily 





Go away sun!











7/19
1174


Grammar time 











7/20
1198
Hiked 22 miles into Sierra city. Tried hitching the 1.4 miles with Lowlander but we had heard it wasn't a very hiker friendly town, which could be why no one picked us up. Heard from some hikers walking back to the trail that the power went out at the country store so they're giving away Ice cream for free. Arrived at the store and Was welcomed by the classic "you made it" applause. Free ice cream for days. There was free camping on the church lawn. Grateful for that. Heard about the not hiker friendly and Zero tolerance policy about drinking and smoking. The trail angels at the red moose inn were taken advantage of by disrespectful hikers, giving the rest of us a bad rep. After maybe 10 tents were set up on the church lawn and I was about to make dinner, the keeper of the church lawn came over and brought us the most unexpected thing: a big bottle of red wine, grand marnier, and cold modelos. It was very surprising and very appreciated. So it turned into a little quiet party on the church lawn. It started taking eighth as we all got in our tents and rained all night. Most consistent rain on trail yet... Not on trial.


Creepy old abandoned truck... Dripping water

7/21
Woke up late due to the rain. Out my laundry in, got on the inter web. Got fave time calls from two of my favorite people: Miss Sadowsky and Miss Rothblum. Those calls made my dewy morning so warm and gleeful. So good hearing and seeing you fine women! There was the sweetest Kitty hanging around. He gave me so much love. Had Breakfast at the red moose. It took forever, but it was worth it. Picked up my resupply package and my new backpack. So stoked to have a more sturdy and supportive lightweight pack.
Ate an amazingly buttery breakfast sandwich for a late lunch/dinner. Sourdough, Vermont white cheddar, eggs and hash browns. And butter. Mmm. Talked to mom and dad. My spot device is out of battery. 

1205
Hiked 8 miles at night. I usually am at the back of the group, taking my own sweet time, not setting the pace. I don't like setting the pace for people who are faster than I because I feel the need to push myself really hard to accommodate for their normal fast pace. I am a bit insecure of my pace, so I stay at peace with my pace at the back of the group. This time though, I ended up leading and it felt empowering and motivating. We planned on camping at the first water source 8 miles up the trail, but testament and I who were hiking in the front, turned around and realized that Brent gypsy Dayglow Johnny cash and hot legs were no longer behind. We started back tracking, but not far enough, and ended up going back and forth many times, making wolf calls. There was no good camping around. I kept my cool and just kept walking. I felt like they couldn't have passed us since we were in front, but steel toe told us they kept going (he didn't know that was us walking back and forth). So we kept going north... They couldn't have kept hikin, I thought. We had a rendezvous spot. They weren't there. So testament and I found a very exposed but flat, windy place to cowboy camp. It was so nice looking at the stars. Slept in between two massive tree roots under a tree. Haven't cowboy camped in a minute. The group ended up going back to a flat road spot and found us in the morning. It was a relief and great to see them as I awoke. Good times. 





No comments:

Post a Comment