When I got out of the car I couldn't help but jump skip and let out a loud giggle all at once. It was the most natural reaction, just like my nerves. A laugh that was mocking my irrational anxieties about everything and nothing. Walking up to the registration booth light by white Cristmas lights, being greeted by a little girl who goes by "bear bait" and being given a squeeze bottle for the purpose of a bidet or "ass blaster" as others call it... My nerves dissipated. Everything is going to be just fine. I feel comforted, welcomed, not afraid.
This morning for the yoga by the rocks, I had no ground sheet or makeshift yoga mat- I figure why not get dirty now. Well I didn't get dirty but I pretty much rolled around in straight up fox tail weed grass. I collected these little prickly seed weeds in my long underware. A lot of them. Infinite seeming. I am still trying to remove all the remnants of this silly mistake I will never make again.
Note to future self: don't roll around in fox tail ever!
Later today I went to the shakedown with my packed pack. If was neat. As I exploded my pack and sat amongst all my gear I've collected over the past 3 months, I looked up to three lovely ladies taking notes. I felt flattered.
I had food for 6 days. I only need food for two really because I'm going south of here to the border to start hiking on Sunday. From there to where I am now is 20 miles. Planning on doing 15 the first day and 5 miles back here to raid a hiker box and keep going.
I was pretty proud of my jam packed hiking system and organization. I had thought of everything, and too much of it. My pack was embarrassingly heavy with all that food. With help of a new friend "Salsa" I got my pack down to 18 LBS total, with food and fuel and just one liter of water. (I will be carrying up to 6 L at a time). I ditched my blow up pillow, my pack towel, my silk jammy layers, rain pants, pack cover, a pair of "sleep socks"... What else... My mirror, Imodium, antibiotics for lord knows, matches, 3 chapsticks... Can't think of what else but I wasn't too attached to anything. Except for my warm hat! I'm keeping that item to make me feel cozy god damnit! I am so grateful for my shakedown experience.
I am currently in my tarp on the second night of this kick off and hear a drunk hiker saying to another drunk hiker "dude you're gonna roll your ankle" and "oh look who's the LNT master!" And hearing trail names being yelled like "tinkerbell" and "snake farm". Lol.
I also have a lip pimple that I can see protrude when I look down. I am ready to build up my protective layer of anti pimple absorbing wilderness beauty skin. Have to go through the awkward breakthrough transition phase first.
Okay I have said enough! Good night world.
Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteFollowing you Hanna
ReplyDeleteWhat's your trail name?
Love you
Good luck
Santo