Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Decision, decision.

When I decided to hike the Pacific Crest Trail... There were two phases. The first was hearing about it from two friends over the past year who had completed it last Fall (2013). This piqued my interest. I've never done a "long trail" but I've spent enough time in the wilderness to know that it is my happy place. Watching the landscape change as you meander through woods and climb peaks is the most gratifying combination of physical endorphins, pride, and beauty. I never made a plan to actually hike a long trail, but for the past 5 months I've been mulling over the PCT. Being from the East coast and now living in Utah, I have always wanted to explore the entire West coast, but never really made it happen.

The decision to just do it, to hike the 2,650 miles spanning from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon and Washington, occurred in February, just like that. One day I woke up and said to myself "I'm just gonna F**king do it." I told everyone I'd come into contact with and got mixed responses.
"Are you doing it with anyone?" No, but I will make many new friends. "How long will it take?" 6 months if I average 20 miles a day. "Are you in shape for it?" Eh, nothing will get you into shape for hiking a long trail besides hiking a long trail (and maybe running regularly before). "How are you going to survive?" I'll figure it out.

Okay so maybe I am just winging it, since I've been planning a 6 month endeavor in 2 months thus far. But I have a good feeling it will all work out, day by day as this exciting adventure unfolds. I have a ton of support from family and friends,  and I am so grateful I am in the right time and place in my life to be trekking. Thanks for stopping by and keep staying tuned!

Btw, I leave from SLC>San Diego for the ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero Kick Off PARTAY) on April 24th which takes place in Campo, 20 mi. north of the Mexico border.


No comments:

Post a Comment