Saturday, March 22, 2014

Been running

Trying to kick my ass into shape. Yowch. 7 miles hurts sometimes. Luckily the weather is perfect to run in, but skiing 5 days a week hasn't kept me in the shape I thought it would.
The shoes I bought for my hike are HOKA Stintson Trail Runners. They are Ultra long distance marathon runners (which I am not, hah) and the design is super funky. Definitely don't look like a hiking boot by ANY means. Which I am stoked about. The base of the shoe, or whatever you call it, is really tall, giving me an added inch or so on my height, and kinda resemble those goofy mom sketchers. I thought to myself... This seems SKETCHY. I bought the 9.5, a half size above my measured size... But my feet have had a strange relationship with shoe sizes over most of my life.
(I wore size 10 shoes at age 10, the 8.5 in my 20s, realizing I was destroying my feet cramming them into the same shoe size as my mom. Ugh I don't want to think about it.) Anyways I digress... The 9.5 HOKAS felt amazing while running 3-6 miles. My joints were thanking me, like the Ultra runner at Salt Lake Running Co. was telling me. Long distance wears on the joints, buy these shoes. She was being so sincere, these shoes feel like heaven. But I got paranoid that I need to go up a size because my feet will swell, apparantly. Honestly I've done a lot of hiking and I havent officially needed to go up a size, and I am great at not getting blisters... But who knows. As I read on a lightweight backpacker support group comment today "Feet are strangely personal." Yes, indeed they are. So I bought the size 10... EEEK. Ran in them today and they felt, well, BIG. So this may sound strange, but I hope all these experienced through hikers are right... that my feet will swell and get bigger. Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment