Thursday, April 23, 2015

GEAR talk

OKAY gear junkies
What I used, got rid of and would now invest in.

SLEEP SYSTEM
BAG: I started with a Big agnes Lithia down 15 degree women's petite bag. It was a mummy bag I learned to love, but I would roll off my sleeping pad sometimes. Then My dad left me with his incredible NEMO Nocturn 15 degree bag, COCOON SHAPED. Lady or Gent, I highly recommend a cocoon shaped bag. You’re not cutting corners with weight, and this extra room is essential for total comfort in sleep. I also recommend going with down for comfort.

PAD: NEOAIR by Thermarest/Cascadia Designs
super lightweight, compactable, inflatable and really, really comfortable.

PILLOW: Sleeping bag stuff sack with my puffy Patagnoia down Jacket inside.

TENT: I started with a tarptent contrail. It was fussy to set up and wouldnt stay put or tight over night. I switched to a Big Agnes Flycreek UL 2. Liked it a lot. In retrospect I would have rather had the Copper Spur by Big Agnes, a tad heavier, but with a side door, as opposed to the front door on the Fly Creek.


COOK SYSTEM
750 ml. Snowpeak pot w/ measurement indicator
STOVE: I had an MSR Pocket Rocket Stove w/ fuel cannisters. I would have rather had the Jetboil. Why? Because it takes a fraction of the time and uses hardly no fuel. The Jetboil required you to not cook any food in it while it is boiling the water, which is why I didn’t get it, thinking I wanted to cook. In reality my cooking was essentially just boiling water to rehydrate my meals.
SPOON: Long handled sea-to-summit or whatever titanium spoon. Loved it.
(I wish I had a Jetboil, which is more fuel/time efficient).


BATHROOM SYSTEM
Bandana (pee rag)
Paper towel squares
Charmin wet wipes
Dr. Bronners Lavender hand sanitizer spray
(I wish I had a titanium Trowel with me to dig fast and deep holes) Instead I used sticks and rocks.



CLOTHES 
Under Armour mid length spandex shorts
Yellow Colombia button down long sleeve hiking shirt
Exofficico underware (3 pair)
Injinji toe socks hiking ankle length (3 pairs)
Underarmour mid length spandex
Dirty Girl Gaiters
Buff (coolmax) for neck
Tilly hat


SHOES
Solomon 3D pro XA
Solomon Fell Raisers


MISCELLANEOUS
Leki Trekking Poles
Biking gloves (until one got stolen by a deer or a mouse in the night.)
Jansport fanny pack
Headlamp: started using a very minimal and light Petzl e-light... convenient for camp... but not bright enough for night hiking. My dad gave me his super amazing Petzl headlamp that is USB chargable and the light adjusts with your distance to what you're looking at. I was very grateful for this, although it was a "heavyweight" upgrade.
iPhone (Halfmile GPS App, Half mile maps, blog, camera, music, podcasts) 
Charger: external battery pack that stores almost 2 full charges
Drivers license, debit card, thru-hiking permit
Lighter
Swiss army knife multi-tool



FOOD

Breakfast:
Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee
Carnation Instant breakfast w/ Carnation powdered milk.


Mid morning:
Cliff Bars: Chocolate chip and Crunchy PB
Fig Bars: Raspberry, Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon
Chia Bars: banana nut, chocolate peanut butter, coconut, apple cinnamon


LUNCH
Justin’s PB with Honey, Almond Butter and Hazlenut chocolate (good replacement for nutella)
Flour Tortillas!!!!!!
Packets of Smoked Salmon, Tuna, Herring, Sardines
W/ Triscuits and Sriratcha and Mayo Packets


Afternoon snack:
PB filled Pretzles
PB, pretzel, peanut, Almond M&Ms
Dried Mango


Treats:
Prince of Peace Ginger candies
Chocolate covered espresso beans 


Dinner
Favorite: Ramen or rice noodles w/ Peanut butter, sriratcha, dehydrated veggies, sometimes salmon.
Annies white cheddar mac and cheese with dehydrated veggies and/ or tuna.
Mountain House Brand
Beef Stroganoff w/ noodles (Favorite)
Pasta Primavera (Favorite)
I would next time buy the Backpacker Pantry brand instead of Mountain house because they have more ethnic/vegetarian choices like pad thai and chana masala.
Packit Gourmet brand
Dehydrated mushrooms, tomato, spinach, broccoli, etc
Tortilla Soup
Chilli
Hamburger wrap
Buffalo chicken wrap



I would have like to eat more fresh foods
like fresh bread, butter, avocado, cheese, apples… 
But overall I ate like a champion thanks to my amazing Mom, Mindi Faigen for sending me boxes every town!

No comments:

Post a Comment